Cooking Instructions

Cooking Utensils

Recommended Use

Glass and glass-ceramic bowls and dishes — Use for heating or cooking.

Microwave grilling dish — Use to grill the exterior of small items such as steaks, chops, or pancakes. Follow the directions provided with your grilling dish.

Microwavable plastic wrap — Use to retain steam. Leave a small opening for some steam to escape and avoid placing it directly on the food.

Wax paper — Use as a cover to prevent spattering.

Paper towels and napkins — Use for short-term heating and covering; they absorb excess moisture and prevent spattering. Do not use recycled paper towels, which may contain metal and can catch fire.

Paper plates and cups — Use for short-term heating at low temperatures. Do not use recycled paper, which may contain metal and can catch fire.

Thermometers — Use only those labeled “Microwave Safe” and follow all directions. Check the food in several places. Conventional thermometers may be used once the food has been removed from the oven.

Limited Use

Aluminum foil — Use narrow strips of foil to prevent overcooking of exposed areas. Using too much foil can damage your oven, so be careful.

Ceramic, porcelain, and stoneware — Use these if they are labeled “Microwave Safe.” If they are not labeled, test them to make sure they can be used safely. Never use dishes with metallic trim.

Plastic — Use only if labeled “Microwave Safe.” Other plastics can melt.

Straw, wicker, and wood — Use only for short-term heating, as they can be flammable.

Not Recommended

Glass jars and bottles — Regular glass is too thin to be used in a microwave, and can shatter.

Paper bags — These are a fire hazard, except for popcorn bags that are designed for microwave use.

Styrofoam plates and cups — These can melt and leave an unhealthy residue on food.

Plastic storage and food containers — Containers such as margarine tubs can melt in the microwave.

Metal utensils — These can damage your oven. Remove all metal before cooking.

Testing Utensils

If you are not sure whether a dish is microwave-safe or not, you can perform this test:

1 Fill a 1 cup glass measuring cup with water and put it inside your oven, next to the dish you want to test.

2 Press the One Minute + button once to heat them for one minute at High power.

The water should be warm and the dish you are testing should be cool. If the dish is warm, then it is absorbing microwave energy and is not acceptable for use in the microwave.