This chapter describes how to operate the VCR and
VCR Tape Playback
Press the VCR button to select the device to be oper-
1. Turn on the TV.
2. Direct VIDEO/AUDIO connection is made
between the unit and the TV, set the TV’s source
selector to VIDEO.
3. Insert a pre-recorded video cassette.
The indicator lights and the unit powers on
4. If a tape without a safety tab is inserted the unit
starts playback automatically.
If not, press N(PLAY).
5. Press x (STOP) to stop playback. If the tape
reaches the end before you press x (STOP) the
unit automatically stops, rewinds and ejects the
6. Fast wind tape:
Press m (REW) or M (FF) during stop.
It is not necessary to select the tape speed for play-
back because it is automatically selected by the unit.
Automatic tracking adjusts the picture to remove
snow or streaks and beings when:
• Atape is played for the first time.
• The tape speed (SP, LP, SLP) changes.
• Streaks or snow appear due to scratches on the
To manually adjust the tracking use the v/V(-/+)
buttons on the Remote Control during playback.
•Vertical jitter requires a very fine adjustment.
•Tracking is automatically reset to normal when the tape
is ejected or the power cord is unplugged for more than
This function lets you visually search for a tape sec-
tion in either direction: forward and backward. During
the high-speed picture search modes, the audio is
muted and horizontal lines (noise bars) appear. Also,
a short time is needed to stabilize the tape speed
when re-entering the PLAYmode so slight interfer-
ence may be observed during this time.
1. Press m (REW) or M (FF) during playback.
Press and hold m (REW) or M (FF) during
tape fast winding.
2. To return to playback, press N(PLAY).
After 3 minutes in SEARCH mode the unit returns to PLAY
mode to protect the tape and video heads.
Still Picture and Frame-by-Frame Playback
1. Press X (PAUSE) during playback.
Astill picture appears on the TV screen and the
audio is muted.
2 If the still picture vibrates vertically, stabilize it by
using v/V(-/+) on the Remote Control.
3. Press X (PAUSE) repeatedly to advance the
video picture one frame at a time.
4. To return to playback, press N(PLAY).
After 5 minutes in STILLmode the unit stops to protect the
tape and video heads.
1. While in still mode, press M (FORWARD).
The tape is played at a speed 1/19 times slower
than the normal speed.
2. Use v/V(-/+) on the Remote Control if necessary
to adjust the tracking.
3. To return to the normal speed, press N(PLAY).
• During slow motion, audio is muted and horizontal
lines (noise bars) may appear on the TV screen.
This is normal.
• After 3 minutes in SLOW MOTION mode the unit
goes back to PLAYmode to protect the tape and