Adding and Replacing Parts 117Adding and Replacing Parts
Before You Begin
This chapter provides procedures for removing and installing the components in your computer.
Unless otherwise noted, each procedure assumes that the following conditions exist:
• You have performed the steps in "Turning Off Your Computer" (see this page) and "Before
Working Inside Your Computer" (see "Before Working Inside Your Computer" on page118).
• You have read the safety information in your Dell™
Product Information Guide.
• A component can be replaced or—if purchased separately—installed by performing the removal
procedure in reverse order.
The procedures in this document may require the following tools:
• Small flat-blade screwdriver
• Phillips screwdriver
• Small plastic scribe
• Flash BIOS update program (see the Dell Support website at
Turning Off Your Computer
NOTICE: To avoid losing data, save and close any open files and exit any open programs before you turn off
Shut down the operating system:
Save and close any open files, exit any open programs, click the
button, and then click
Turn Off Computer
Turn off computer
Turn of f
The computer turns off after the operating system shutdown process finishes.
Ensure that the computer and any attached devices are turned off. If your computer and attached
devices did not automatically turn off when you shut down your operating system, press and hold
the power button for at least 8–10 seconds until the computer turns off.
PD598a01.book Page 117 Monday, February 6, 2006 2:24 PM