Clicking the Dell Support Icon
Click or right-click the icon to perform the following tasks:
• Check your computing environment.
• View the Dell Support Utility settings.
• Access the help file for the Dell Support Utility.
• View frequently asked questions.
• Learn more about the Dell Support Utility.
• Turn the Dell Support Utility off.
Double-Clicking the Dell Support Icon
Double-click the icon to manually check your computing environment, view frequently asked
questions, access the help file for the Dell Support Utility, and view Dell Support settings.
For more information about the Dell Support Utility, click the question mark (?) at the top of the Dell
Support screen.Drive Problems
CAUTION: Before you begin any of the procedures in this section, follow the safety instructions in the Product
ENSURE THAT MICROSOFT® WINDOWS® RECOGNIZES THE DRIVE —Click the Start button and click My
Computer. If the floppy, CD, or DVD drive, is not listed, perform a full scan with your antivirus software to check for
and remove viruses. Viruses can sometimes prevent Windows from recognizing the drive.
TEST THE DRIVE —
• Insert another floppy disk, CD, or DVD to eliminate the possibility that the original one is defective.
• Insert a bootable floppy disk or bootable CD and restart the computer.
CLEAN THE DRIVE OR DISK —See "Cleaning Your Computer" on page151.
ENSURE THAT THE CD IS SNAPPED ONTO THE SPINDLE
CHECK THE CABLE CONNECTIONS
CHECK FOR HARDWARE INCOMPATIBILITIES —
See "Resolving Software and Hardware Incompatibilities" on
RUN THE DELL DIAGNOSTICS —
"Dell Diagnostics" on page87
CD and DVD Drive Problems
NOTE: High-speed CD or DVD drive vibration is normal and may cause noise, which does not indicate a defect in
the drive or the CD or DVD.
NOTE: Because of different regions worldwide and different disc formats, not all DVD titles work in all DVD drives.
PD598a01.book Page 91 Monday, February 6, 2006 2:24 PM